I created this Should/Could movie in 2017. It was based on the changes I made – seen above – to a painting I’d done years before.
I came across it just now while searching on my phone for something else entirely. Watching it before posting here illuminated a few truths:
1. While looking for something else, you never know what you can find/uncover.
Some of us* refer to this phenomenon as “Lost and Found”.
2. A bit of time and space can help you look and think with a fresh perspective.(See # 6!)
3. Taking a risk may actually not be a risk at all.
I had nothing to lose separating the painting from its frame; it wasn’t doing anything or seen by anyone but me.
4. Letting go of self criticism and fear of others’ judgement can be so liberating.
Once I did, I loved experimenting with colour and techniques.
5. The end result of your efforts may be quite surprising.
I concluded that the small parts of the painting are far more interesting/successful than the overall (which is way, way too busy). I’m considering cutting out those parts into small works. I may do it, or not. I may ruin everything, or not. So what….
6. Unexpected discoveries may reveal themselves to you in the process.
So, I now think that the best part of this movie was actually learning the various aspects of creating the movie itself.